The Kensington Improvement Club (KIC) was the first volunteer organization in Kensington founded in 1921. The purpose of KIC is to promote and foster the general welfare of the community and to cooperate with county and local authorities to attain needed community improvements. The KIC is administered by a board of 15 directors who meet monthly and membership is open to all Kensington residents and property owners.
Regular Meetings are held the 4th Monday of the month, 7:30 PM, in the Kensington Community Center Conference Room
KIC meetings are open to the public and we encourage the community to attend if they are interested in finding out what we do, would like to become involved, or if they have an issue that they would like to bring to our attention.
Projects that KIC has sponsored in the community over the years:
• Kensington Kiosk on the Arlington
• The Colusa Circle Landscaping
• The Community Signboard
• Worked with the County to Implement the Landscape District and continue to provide oversight to the county with ongoing maintenance and projects through our Landscape Committee
• Landscaped Medians on the Arlington
• Worked with the County to Implement KMAC, and continue to provide financial support
• Provide an annual Forum for Candidates and Issues through our Town Hall Meeting
• Published “Kensington Past and Present” book
• Published the Kensington Earthquake Booklet and disseminated to the community
• Replaced Trash receptacles on the Arlington and Colusa Circle business districts
• Purchased and planted the large planter near the Kiosk
• Provided the cabinets, drapes and padded folding chairs in the Community Center Conference Room
• Provided the aerial photograph and large map of Kensington in the Community Center Conference Room
• Established Memorial benches and plantings at the Community Center
• Funded various Boy Scout projects in the community
KIC is interested in new ideas and projects that the community would like to see developed in our community. We are currently looking into the issues of Undergrounding and a Kensington Centennial project.
President - Melissa Holmes
Mailing: P. O. Box 8165, Berkeley, Ca 94707-0165